Four Months Later


 I promised I'd write more. And then. And then horses and winter and job loss and mental illness in a dear one. It's been the hardest (worst) few months of my life and we're not out of the weeds yet. Light is gleaming through, however.

I step outside and the fragrant blooms of the Linden tree off the deck fills my soul. The elderberry blooms are turning into berries. After a drought, a rainy day. A loud bird call. I don't know this bird, so I look it up. It's a brown cowbird, and returns frequently. We are now familiar with one another.

Respites: The beach. Friends who invite us. When someone who knows checks in. Happy kids playing. Therapy. Baseball games. Pony grazing.

Today marks 15 years since Behn and I committed ourselves to one another in the covenant of marriage. This day isn't glamorous, as he trudges to a new low-paying job and I drop kids off at camp (paid for by church- another respite and grace). No Europe, no B and B in the mountains, no all inclusive beach week. Just work and kids and farm. A night at home without kids perhaps, first time in well over a year.

I finished the book on Chesterton. Many notable passages. I will leave today with a commonplace from Samuel Rutherford, however:

"Grace whithereth without adversity. The devil is but God's master-fencer, to teach us how to handle our weapons." -Rutherford, 1637


Comments