Boots On The Ground

 A gray January day with a deluge incoming finds me with candles lit at the table. My almost 4 year old is on the iPad next to me; he is pink-eyed and we just fought the fight of eye drops. I've been outside twice already by 9 a.m.- the animals needed to be fed and I also prepped the shelter for the rain. I saw a huge swath of Canadian geese overhead, many V's and much honking as they flew West this morning. I wonder where they are going.

I always welcome the new year. The holidays can be warm and colorful, but are always, always overwhelming for us. No matter how "simple" we resolve to keep the time, we always get frazzled and without a holiday budget, go into debt. So now it is January and we are being as careful as we can and digging out. Unfortunately for our budget, I am taking a leave from my CFA job, to be more present at home and to be at the boys' basketball games. It has been nice to be here- to prepare more home meals, help with bedtime- and yet I know it will affect our finances. I am scheming new ideas. I am ready to put boots on the ground for some of my ideas. I did enroll for the Naturalist Class. I am planning on forming the LLC. I am trying to pick up books instead of my phone. 

Overall I feel optimistic and determined about this year. It must be better, right? The gray days will pass into a new spring and new endeavors. I pray for gratitude, discipline, and gentleness. Hope is the thing with feathers.


"Hope" is the thing with feathers-

That perches in the soul-

And sings the tune without words-

And never stops - at all-

-Emily Dickinson

Comments