Just Write

 

Hello, here I am at the beginning of this: another little online journal of sorts. This is not the first time I’ve ‘started a blog,’ but I find myself, like other word-type people, yearning for more than the quick scroll of social media. I remember when, in probably 2014 or so, I read an article that said something like, “Blogging is out and social media is in.” I bemoaned this idea, but then went with the current like many others- posting snack-sized tidbits to my Instagram Feed. I stopped writing online, leaving a couple abandoned blogs behind.

I’ve always been a journaler, keeping stack of filled-up journals in secret places. I have nothing specific to write about, but feel many thoughts swirling around in my head during this weird time: post-Covid, political lines more drawn, a post-Christian society. I’m also turning a corner in my world: the last year of my 30’s, my child bearing years complete with 4 challenging and delightful boys, and pressing on to new goals. The idea of begin yet another writing space came to me a while ago, but excuses abound until I woke up at 4 this morning and told myself: “Just write.”

We shall see what unfolds, but I’d like to share less day-to-day family news, which I’m holding more closely to my heart, and instead turn to more bold writing about theology and politics (at times), telling of stories from my memories as they pop up, and also write the my little ups and downs of a tiny farm in north-central Delaware.

Finally, I will leave you, my dear any reader out there, with a commonplace: a quote that has struck me from my personal readings, that left me pondering. Today it is this:

Chesterton on gratitude: “It is a good exercise, in empty or ugly hours of the day, to look at anything, the coal-scuttle or the book-case, and think how happy one could be to have brought it out of the sinking ship on to the solitary island.”

-G.K. Chesterton, from The Ethics of Elfland, 1908

In other words, be thankful for what you have around you, and imagine your life on a desert island without it.

God’s peace to you.

Comments